【Creativity Zen Espresso | 創意心法】

Friday, December 31, 2004

Creativity Presents Itself

It’s the New Year eve tonight, quite freezing out here in Yangmei, Taoyuan. I had a big meal of hot pot with my wife and my colleagues. After the dinner, I started feeling dizzy, so I went to sleep for a short while, and then I woke up from my dream…I remembered, prior to when I went to bed, I told myself to aware something comes up to be my topic today. I dreamed myself using a pencil and trying to write down the topic on a piece of paper, with the title of the topic, “Picking A Right Topic.” I woke up immediately, since I noticed that I’ve been doing the blog in front of my lovely iMac G4.

I turned on my lamp-style iMac and started writing, I put the title to be “Picking A Right Topic” without thinking. However, I remembered in my dream, I changed it from “Free From ‘Struggling,’ Part IV.” I’ve already forgotten what I thought during the sleep. OK, now I have two topics in front of me. What do I do now? I found myself stocking in this hesitation. I told myself that I am experiencing a contradiction of picking a right topic, but I still need work even harder to keep my pace moving, and I know that, eventually, the title will appear by itself…

I decided to go through the same process as I addressed in the “Free From ‘Struggling,’ Part III,” which I realized that I was enjoying of writing it out so that to share my experience. While not stocked from choosing the right topic above, I kept moving on, and wish I could find out the pattern from all the thread I wrote down. Afterwards, I had an outline of my thinking. I recognized that it is the so-called “brainstorming” which I learned its name in my English writing course, as well as my design class. Now I would like to define “brainstorming” as “taking notes of the things flashing the brain.”

While I was digging out my outline, a little flashing thought came to me. It is something about writing in English versus in Chinese. I remembered that I would talk about it some other day. It is about the culture differences of the East and the West. Now, I just recognized that it would not be today’s topic, since it is another issue to amplify. So, just cut it out!

Yet, I would like to fill in more on the flashing. Sometimes people call it "Muse’s visiting," or "inspiration." Whatever it is called, it is something very specific, and very appealing, at least to me! I want to acknowledge that all the flashings might be our own living experiences, but just have been forgotten, or something that we just encountered would trigger an unsolved question in our past, and we can now solve the unsolved problem right away. As long as we hold nothing to hide consciously, Creativity presents itself. It never ends, and exists in our memory subconsciously, or we can just catch it from the air in a critical moment.

Ultimately, I see the last thing I would like to address here–PATTERN. A pattern of something is able to connect something else seemed to be unrelated. That is also something that is able to form a topic. Until now, I’ve been through the steps of 2 to 7 for countless times. From the brainstorming, outlining, cutting, generating creativities, and I finally am able to edit them, or do the copy-and-paste.

Eventually, I could dig out nothing more while focusing on this issue. This reminds me my old experiences. I used to be over calm down to look for something else more when I experienced digging out, but I was not aware the existence of the already-did outline, and just to flourish it. During the editing process, I also noticed something else. I need to keep emptying myself so that I can feel if the readers could understand the writings or not. Because I am not only writing it for myself, I am sharing something that I have learned, and this is something not stated in any tutorial book.

This is the end for today. Now I just wondered how many wise experiences have been recorded in an old Chinese book in the Ming dynasty–「日知錄」, or “A Record of the Daily Knows,” written by Ku, Yen-Wu…¶

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home