【Creativity Zen Espresso | 創意心法】

Monday, December 20, 2004

Preface

中文→

I studied Business in Taiwan before I went to the U.S. and majored in “Computer Science” in the first semester. Although I still love computer so much back to then; however, the foundation courses, such as Calculus, Advanced Algebra, and Physics, had make me feel boring while I can still work them out. I thought my art classes were fine since my elementary school time; therefore, I switched my major without fear to the new founded “Graphic Design” department at the University.

I finally understood the teaching of Ms. Gwen Amos, my graphic design instructor who inspired me with her “design principle fundamental,” after the first semester had finished. For God’s sake, there has always been something that can only be realized but cannot be mentioned. That thing can only be realized is the pains of doing graphic design. While not discussing about its methodologies and technical sides of creation, the challenge of graphic design is to dig into the “VISUAL ELEMENTS” which most people do not see, to focus on the “MESSAGE” behind the piece of work; nonetheless, even to demonstrate the hard-explained invisible “SPIRIT” beyond what the “MESSAGE” can express, and to stick on one’s own discipline on the “ORIGINALITY” of an artwork during the creating process.

After the baptism of Gwen’s “design principle fundamental,” those teachings have become the essential elements of my creation; however, it’s also become an abyss which I fall into, a deep thinking process. While focusing myself on those “MESSAGE,” “SPIRIT,” and “ORIGINALITY” too much, I did not want to look into those works without enough depth of connotation that I think they are. Thereafter, I had lost myself in the kingdom of my own high standard, but forgot the great saying by Confucius who said that thousand years ago, “When three people walk together, they are all my teachers. Look at the goodness and learn from that; take the weakness out and change from that.”

Until now, I also want to acknowledge another teacher who gave me a new life, Mr. T.C. Wu. Wu is a special person. He is a person I knew, “a teacher of virtue” who focuses on his own well being greater then preaching, but not “a teacher of books” who only passes the knowledge to the students. While taking a deep look on his soul, I conform the extra-ordinary experiences that he has been through, and witness his abundant immanence beside his virtue. Moreover, I admire his wisdom crossing the Eastern and the Western cultures, and his broad-while-focused profession integrated different domains. He can finally establish his own doctrine of “Applications on Space and Potential Energy,” building on top of his twenty-years accumulated hard-working experiences. I met him at the most blanked and conceited moment in my life, while he gradually melted my arrogance in transparent when I was not aware. He has guided me to arrange more spaces for improvements, has taught me not to confused by the narrow-minded knowledge, as well as helps me to step into a higher level of practicing. Under his osmosis and hardness-simplified teaching, I could deeply know more about myself, see the weakness of myself, remind myself, and lift myself. Until some day unremembered, I could clearly aware what my big problem is…

Bingo! I finally realized that things couldn’t be over done. While extremely focusing on the “MESSAGE”, “SPIRIT,” and “ORIGINALITY” behind the creations, I bounded my hands and legs without awareness, and forgot to let myself “just do it!” Wow! I could ultimately enlighten myself with the help of Mr. Wu’s teaching as the followings. ”How one could light up a creation consistently is derived from accumulating the “light bulbs” of each flashing moment, and really taking an action to fulfill every light flashing. Learn from the mistakes during the actions, and collect its positive lessons ceaselessly so that, in the future of an unsure quantity of time, one is able to eventually and naturally become a master whose creations expressing the “less is more” philosophy are appreciated by the people, no matter they are outsiders or Pros. Furthermore, One might have KNOWN about the above for sure, but one might hardly to BE that for unsure."

“Creativity Zen Espresso”– not only an “design principle fundamental” from my old class notes, it is a multidimensional cyber space combining different aspects such as, computing, humanity, pop science, music, art, philosophy, and mind-and-spirit. Drop in anytime! We are here 7-11 online starting from the middle of December 2004. You are very welcome to drop in, and have a cup of the concentrated awaking drink, made with the extraction of heart and sane: ) ¶

Post Script:
I wish the creations of this web site, to give them to my parents who gave me life and lifted me up, to all of my inspiring teachers–Mr. James Yang who taught me MIDI, MS. Gwen Amos who taught me Graphic Design, and Mr. T.C. Wu who taught me his wisdom of Applications on Space and Potential Energy, and to every friends who love me, encourage me, grew up with me, as well as to my wife Faye who is now living and being together with me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home